RE: Performance tuning

From: <azhar_at_mathtech-pk.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 03:53:05 -0700

Database parameters were slightly changed for the second run and SGA was made only 140 MB.
Loading was done without indexes and SQL loader parameters were changed to Readsize=10m, Bindsize=10m and Rows=5000. It took almost same time for about 21 hours but again it committed 8-10 times ( first 50000) very quickly.

Real bottleneck is RAM (as pointed out by all) since commit charge in NT task manager was almost double than
the physical memory.

But since the data is loaded , we are through. Thanks to every one who responded
Azhar

                    "Boivin, Patrice

                    J"                       To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-        cc:

                    mpo.gc.ca>               Subject:     RE: Performance tuning

                    Sent by:

                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    05/31/2001 12:56

                    AM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

I don't know what is causing this, but I would keep an eye on physical memory available vs. commit charge in Task Manager, I strongly recommend your commit charge never exceed your physical memory.

I found that Oracle sometimes refuses to even start services when it runs out of physical memory, it doesn't like virtual memory very much. Shrinking
the size of your SGA is preferable to exceeding the available physical memory, in my opinion. Keep in mind session memory space in your calculations, and the other programs you may be running on your machine.

I recommend you stop all the services (in Services applet) that you dare stop, to lighten the load.

In the virtual memory settings, allocate the amount you want, but try to avoid a range of values - when initial and max size values are different NT keeps polling the pagefile and memory statistics to figure out if the pagefile should grow or shrink. Better to do that manually up front, allocate at set amount. NT then stops doing extra work regarding memory allocation.

Every little bit helps.

I haven't used SQL*Loader, so I can't say much about that, except... when you start loading those first few rows, what does Commit Charge look like in
Task Manager? Is it growing? If it is, notice how slowly NT does this. It
can't be helped. If commit charge approaches physical memory available, you
will hit a ceiling I think. Then things may well slow down to a crawl.

Is there a buffer size you can set for SQL*Loader? I always set my exp buffer size to 1000000 to speed it up. Maybe you can do the same for SQL*Loader. That must use more memory though.

Can you commit every few records? Could it be every 10 rows? Would it be better not to commit too often?

As mentioned before, RAID 5 will prove slower than simple disk or RAID 01 or
RAID 10. Do you have many indexes on the tables you are filling up? You may want to drop them and re-create them once the load is finished.

This may sound silly but... do you have a virus checking program running on your server? Try to exclude the oradata directories from it.

Just some ideas. That's what I would check first.

If your RBS segments filled up, you would see an error somewhere, it seems to me. Is TEMP filling up? You never know.

Oh another probably silly thing - if you are not using SCSI, download DMACheck from microsoft and test whether your DMA is turned on. That would speed up your disk by 40% or more. Servers use SCSI disks normally though, but sometimes people install Oracle on PCs or workstations with IDE drives.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

E-Mail: boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca <mailto:boivinp_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>

>HI ALL,
>We have to load almost 3 millions records of average row size
of
150

           bytes.

>We are importing data using sqloader with ROWS=4000 and
bindsize=8450000 .
>We have adjusted the rollback segment to almost 10 m with 8
extents enough
>for single transaction size and considering 30% rollback
overhead.
We

>adjusted the OPTIMAL TO 10 M to have avoid rollback extension
>Rollback segment, databuffer cache have hit ratio of 100%.
>
>The loading was fast only for first 10 commits but then it
slowed
like

>snail. LOADING TOOK 22 hours in the first run on ORACLE8i NT4
128
megs RAM

>.
>SGA figures in M :
>NAME VALUE
>-------------------- ---------
>Fixed Size .0676384
>Variable Size 239.02734
>Database Buffers 39.0625
>Redo Buffers 7.8203125
> ---------
>sum 285.97779
>( we can't use direct path due to functions in sqlldr
controlfile).
.

>Couldn't figure out the bottleneck yet.
>Any ideas.
>TIA
>Azhar Siddiq,
>DBA
>LMK Resources
>
>--
>--
> INET: azhar_at_mathtech-pk.com
>
>Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858)
538-5051

>San Diego, California -- Public Internet access /
Mailing
Lists

may
>also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).
           Author: Peter McLarty
             INET: peter.mclarty_at_incts.com

           Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
538-5051
           San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

           (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

  INET: azhar_at_mathtech-pk.com