Re: About parallel server

From: <sheisey_at_att.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:10:34 -0700

Fernando, You will need cluster manager and shared disk drives to build this cluster.

You need at least

Oracle 8.1.6 or 8.1.7

Solaris 2.6
Sun Cluster Manager 2.2
Some volume manager preferably Veritas 2.2.1+ or 3.0.4+

Solaris 8 (2.8)

Sun Cluster Manager 2.2 or 3.0 ( If you use SC 3.0 then you will need to apply a patch for bug #1289644 and you are limited to 2 nodes)
Some volume manager preferably Veritas 3.0.4+

Solaris 7 (2.7) is not supported for OPS

The Shared disk environment can use D1000 disk arrays using SCSI.

The interconnect can use SUN's SCI interface.

After all that is setup you will need to get the Enterprise version of Oracle and install the OPS option. The OPS option will not display until the cluster is configured and running and any necessary patches applied.

Now to answer you questions

  1. Yes raw devices are mandatory unless you are running OpenVMS or Compaq Tru64 version 5.1
  2. The UNIX "dd" command works on transferring datafile to raw devices. I have also found that the cp command works on copying files to raw devices and vica versa when using Veritas as the volume manager. Then you probably will need to re-create the control file to change the datafile locations and change MAXINSTANCES.

3)In theory if you start the instance with PARALLEL_SERVER=false you should not be using PCM locks.

4) You need a volume manager to manage your raw devices.

5) It doesn't matter whether the database is OPS non-OPS raw or cooked, hot backups work the same way. You put a tablespace into hot backup mode and copy the datafiles. You just have to use the "dd" command instead of "cp" or use RMAN. Also Veritas allows you to "cp" raw devices.

Also keep in mind if the application doesn't scale in your current environment then it won't scale in OPS. You will just end up with more performance issues.

You will also need to buy licenses for all these products as well.

Good Luck,

Scott

> Hi everybody!
>
> I have some questions about parallel server. Now we have only one instance
> "stand-alone" (no parallel), but we are thinking to switch to parallel
> server because we have a couple of sparc 3500 and nobody are using it, and
> we think it's good for increase our processing power.
>
> The problem is I didn't work with parallel server and I have a lot of
> questions about it:
>
> 1) Is mandatory to use raw devices for control files, redo logs & data
> files?
> 2) How we transfer our cooked data files to raw devices data files?
> import/export? or exist another better (fast) method?
> 3) If I start with only one node, performance will be the same of one single
> instance (no parallel)?
> 4) Somebody know how to work with raw devices under solaris? any link? I try
> to found someting in metalink but there's no samples...
> 5) What about backup? I can't put tablespaces in backup mode and copy with
> cp... maybe it's time to use rman?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> --
> Fernando O. Papa