RE: About parallel server

From: Brian MacLean <bmaclean_at_vcommerce.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 15:34:58 -0700

Several things:

You will have to re-license (your honest aren't you) for the faster machines and OPS;

Build the new database on raw and export/import.  Maybe "dd" would get your datafiles from cooked ufs to raw but it's to much FUD for me;

You can backup using the "dd" command, SQLBackTrack (BMC), or RMAN (I think RMAN now support OPS but you will need to check);

If you do not build your application with OPS in mind you will be slower on two machines with 4 cpu's each than you would be with one machine with 4 cpu's.  Read up on block pinging, reverse key indexes, PCM locks, and free lists.

You MUST take the OPS course from Oracle Education.  The instructor is Scott Hiesey who is the best damn instructor Oracle has.  He is also an infrequent contributor to this list.

Read it, learn it, know it, & live it -> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oraclepp/ and http://www.oradoc.com/ora817/paraserv.817/index.htm

I'm sure some people use and like OPS (my hats of to you) but I have and from a business point of view would never do it again.  If after all that you still want to use OPS, then...go...right...ahead.

BOL -----Original Message-----
From: Fernando Papa [mailto:fpapa_at_elsitio.com.ar] Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001 3:07 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: About parallel server

Hi everybody!

I have some questions about parallel server. Now we have only one instance "stand-alone" (no parallel), but we are thinking to switch to parallel server because we have a couple of sparc 3500 and nobody are using it, and we think it's good for increase our processing power.

The problem is I didn't work with parallel server and I have a lot of questions about it:

  1. Is mandatory to use raw devices for control files, redo logs & data files?
  2. How we transfer our cooked data files to raw devices data files? import/export? or exist another better (fast) method?
  3. If I start with only one node, performance will be the same of one single instance (no parallel)?
  4. Somebody know how to work with raw devices under solaris? any link? I try to found someting in metalink but there's no samples...
  5. What about backup? I can't put tablespaces in backup mode and copy with cp... maybe it's time to use rman?

Thanks in advance!

--
Fernando O. Papa
DBA

(54-11) 4339-3854
-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Fernando Papa   INET: fpapa_at_elsitio.com.ar Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L