About parallel server

From: Fernando Papa <fpapa_at_elsitio.com.ar>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:09:58 -0700

Hi everybody!

I have some questions about parallel server. Now we have only one instance "stand-alone" (no parallel), but we are thinking to switch to parallel server because we have a couple of sparc 3500 and nobody are using it, and we think it's good for increase our processing power.

The problem is I didn't work with parallel server and I have a lot of questions about it:

  1. Is mandatory to use raw devices for control files, redo logs & data files?
  2. How we transfer our cooked data files to raw devices data files? import/export? or exist another better (fast) method?
  3. If I start with only one node, performance will be the same of one single instance (no parallel)?
  4. Somebody know how to work with raw devices under solaris? any link? I try to found someting in metalink but there's no samples...
  5. What about backup? I can't put tablespaces in backup mode and copy with cp... maybe it's time to use rman?

Thanks in advance!

--
Fernando O. Papa
DBA

(54-11) 4339-3854
-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Fernando Papa INET: fpapa_at_elsitio.com.ar Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L