RE: Your views on Quest - Shareplex

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 13:26:22 -0700

The
person giving the presentation on Shareplex  stated  that there could be no chained rows when the sharepex file, apparently analogous to the log miner dictionary file is created.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Jacques Kilchoer   [mailto:Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com]Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2001   11:07 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   RE: Your views on Quest - Shareplex

  From: MacGregor, Ian A. [<A
  href="mailto:ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU">mailto:ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU]
> > We are looking into the

  product as well, but have yet to even > toy with   the product.  There is a "no chained rows" >   restriction.
  I'm not sure what that statement means. Shareplex will   replicate a table that has chained rows.
> Shareplex does not replicate transactions on
> sys objects.  A table dropped  on one
  side will not be > dropped on the other.  It   apparently will replicate truncates >   however.  It's one thing to read the logs and to find the
> time when a truncate caused writes to the data
  dictionary, > but quite another to reconstruct the   statement.
  Statement from a developer of Shareplex: <FONT   size=2><<Interesting statement as this is how we replicate DML.    Providing functionality for DDL is not at all impossible for us.  It is   just one of the things on the list of enhancements that we plan for SharePlex,   the priority of which is dependent on the market.>>   <SPAN
  class=692125319-30052001>Truncate is not  DML it is DDL.    I didn't say there was a problem extracting DML   statements.  Oracle's log miner utility will do that.    I said that  Shareplex, as per the person who gave the   presentation, will replicate truncates and marvelled at this   capability.
  Let me relate my personal experience working with Shareplex   (BEFORE I was an employee with Quest Software). At a previous company we were   looking for a replication tool at a company that did payroll taxes. There were   large batch loads (bank records) every night, but especially at the end of   each quarter and at the end of the year. We wanted to ensure that the   replication tool we chose would be fast enough to keep up with the large data   loads. When we tested Oracle Replication and Quest Shareplex, we found that   Shareplex was significantly faster. I personally argued against it initially   for some of the reasons posters here have mentioned (e.g. it uses   "unsupported" means to accomplish its goal) but eventually we implemented   Shareplex and were satisfied with the result. There can be some manual effort   involved in reconciliation of discrepancies but we found that effort to be   minor. Another factor that influenced our decision is that we were intending   to use Shareplex for Oracle in co junction with Shareplex FS to replicate   datafiles created on the HP-UX server.