RE: backspace in Oracle.

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:29:52 -0700

Netware 3.12 (or 3.2, which is basically 3.12 with Y2K patches) is amazingly robust/stable. We still have one running a ("unsupported") legacy Oracle 7.3 app with 66mhz 486/DOS clients w/ 8Mb RAM!!! (SQL*Net v2 lite).

Only reason for "downtime" is running VREPAIR (rough equivalent of "scandisk") about once every other month, and also when the startup files need maintenance (usually related to changed parameters on .nlms loaded, versoin upgrades, etc) and a bounce is required. also we recently had to put in a new UPS battery, which required a down.

It is amazing how good (well engineered) "no frills" software can be. unfortunately the ".NLM" ended up being sort of the "Pinto" of the NOS industry. the fall of Novell is one of the great sad stories of the industry. corruption of marketing mentality.

On 30 May 2001, at 6:56, Mohan, Ross wrote:

Date sent:              Wed, 30 May 2001 06:56:48 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu