Fwd: RE: Would you increase the shared pool? --URGENT

From: Pablo ksksksk <p_rodri99_at_yahoo.es>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:14:43 -0700

Hi Christopher, thanks for answering

>1. I would check to see if the buffer busy waits are
>on the same
>file/block. Perhaps the same object is being hit
>constantly. I would also
>base my action on the type of block being waited on.

I'm doing exactly this, mostly of my waits are data block waits and p3=0, so there's no much I can do, anyway I'll try increasing buffer cache size.

>2. Tuning the redo generation would be a good thing,
>specially one of that
>size. I would recommend two raid 0 arrays of 3-6
>disks each with quick io /
>raw devices. 3gb is fine, I have never had to work
>with a monstrocity of
>that, but I have heard 2gb+ redo logs a few times.
>That is a constant
>800Kb/s second sustained.

This is the first thing I'm trying to do.

>3. What is the block size of this database?
8KB Oracle 7.3.4

>4. I think possibly problem is not further sizing
>the sp but avoiding
>fragmentation by pinning large procedures and
>packages at startup.

I'll do that. Althought I'm pinning everything that moves (with some Steve Adams scripts), I'll identify "large procedures" to pin.

>5. Do the statements use literals or bind
>variables. Are objects being
>reloaded because of different syntax or because of
>invalidations and aging?

I really don't know if the application uses bind variables (I think it does). I think that this high parsing might be due to a lot of ad hoc queries. I'm running a script right now to collect data from v$sql, to see if these reloads are due to different syntax for the same SQLs.
Is there another way to check this ?

TIA

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Pablo=20ksksksk?=
  INET: p_rodri99_at_yahoo.es