Re: Performance tuning

From: Rodd Holman <rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 08:52:50 -0700

Peter is right. Look at your SGA it's 285M. If you only have 128M on the machine you are running your at least 75% of your db in swap. I would recommend 512M MINIMUM on this system push for more if you can. RAM is relatively cheap right now for intel machines get some. After that you need to get some other system stats (i/o, cpu, waits, locks) and configuration data (SMP?, RAID??).

Rodd Holman

On 5/30/01, 6:21:45 AM, Peter McLarty <peter.mclarty_at_incts.com> wrote regarding Re: Performance tuning :

> Okay fill us in why would you try and inane thing like that on only 128MB
> RAM. NT would be barely running on that without getting your instance up.
> am not that good yet at calculating what amount of RAM you need for a
given
> SGA but I am thinking that you are running in swap

> What is the disk configuration.

> Are you running RAID and if so what configuration. (Not RAID 5 I hope)

> Can you get this system up to 512MB at least.

> With this and a whole lot more you will get some better answers

> Peter
> Trainee Oracle DBA

> At 01:19 AM 30/05/2001 -0800, you wrote:

> >HI ALL,
> >We have to load almost 3 millions records of average row size of 150
bytes.
> >We are importing data using sqloader with ROWS=4000 and bindsize=8450000
.
> >We have adjusted the rollback segment to almost 10 m with 8 extents
enough
> >for single transaction size and considering 30% rollback overhead. We
> >adjusted the OPTIMAL TO 10 M to have avoid rollback extension
> >Rollback segment, databuffer cache have hit ratio of 100%.
> >
> >The loading was fast only for first 10 commits but then it slowed like
> >snail. LOADING TOOK 22 hours in the first run on ORACLE8i NT4 128 megs
RAM

Author: Rodd Holman
  INET: rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com