Number Vs. Varchar2 Datatype

From: Arslan Dar <arslandar_at_skm.org.pk>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 02:29:43 -0700

Hi list,

We are in the design phase of our new database and eventually there a number of feilds which are actually numeric say DEPARTMENT NUMBER or EMPLOYEE CODE (they dont contain any alphabat or special character) ,

The main decision to be made right now is to choose the right datatype, Options ofcourse are VARCHAR2 or NUMBER, i know its better to have varchar2 cuz its a bit flexible, but i want some expert opinion,

can u tell me any pros and cons of having NUMBER or Varchar2 datatype on a feild which is numeric, which may be PRIMARY KEY and also which is NOT always used in Calculations,

which datatype is more efficient

Its Oracle 8.1.7 on NT4,

TIA, Arslan Received on Wed May 30 2001 - 04:29:43 CDT