RE: Re[2]:Your views on Quest - Shareplex

From: Hawkins Family <jhawkins_at_primary.net>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:06:11 -0700

Just being honest and throwing all the information out there ;)

Jim

Author: "Jim Hawkins" <jhawkins_at_primary.net>
Date:       5/29/2001 11:01 AM

All,

We are currently as customer of Quest Software using LiveReorg and Spotlight. For those who don't know, LiveReorg is a combination of two existing Quest products, Space Manager and SharePlex. I asked the exact same question regarding the mining of redo logs of our Quest sales rep. I thought all would be interested in the reply. It is a in-line reply to an Oracle MetaLink document.

Jim Hawkins
Lead SAPR/3 Oracle Database Administrator MEMC Electronic Materials, Inc.
600 Pearl Drive
St. Louis, MO 633376
9636) 474-7832
jhawkins_at_memc.com (work)
jhawkins_at_primary.net (home)

 Doc ID:
         Note:97080.1
  Subject:
         Extracting Data from Redo Logs Is Not A Supported Interface
  Type:
         BULLETIN

 Content Type: TEXT/PLAIN
 Creation Date: 22-JAN-2000
 Last Revision Date: 17-FEB-2000
 Language: USAENG

  PURPOSE

  To explain why any extraction of data from redo logs is not supported.

  SCOPE & APPLICATION

Customers who are considering using Quest SharePlex for disaster recovery.

  Extracting Data from Redo Logs Is Not A Supported Interface

   Quest SharePlex for Oracle replicates data to one or more other Oracle    instances. It attempts to use the information in the redo log to    replicate transactions remotely.

  1. There is not sufficient information in the logs to logically replicate transactions, so the data applied to the destination system may be different from the primary, and therefore inaccurate.

Eyal: That is correct. A part of the SharePlex product goes back to the source database and completes the missing information. This is done only for certain types of Update statements but is not nessasery for Inserts and Deletes.

   2) Reading the redo log is not a supported interface. From the very    beginning, Oracle has changed redo log formats to support functional    enhancements. We must therefore reserve the right to continue to make    needed log format changes. For this reason, certification of any third    party product using this interface is not possible. Since this is an    unsupported interface, the accuracy or completeness of the data in the    destination database can not be assured.

Eyal: The power of the product is the direct result from reading the raw log data. It is our core competency in Quest to understand and support the changing nature of the Oracle log. The reality is that between version 7.0 until 8.1.6 there where only minor changes to the log. Since we are a close partner with Oracle we get early releases of the software and we have the chance to update the product as needed. So far this has never been an issue since most large production sites are running Oracle versions that are atleast 6 months to a year old.

Regarding assurance to the completeness of the data, we do not expect Oracle to provide any assurance. Quest is the one that assures the content of the destination. Quest support has some of the best support experts in the business. Any problem with the database content should be directed to our support organization and not Oracle World Wide Support.

   Likelihood of Occurrence

   Unknown. However, even a low likelihood is a concern for disaster    recovery (DR). In disaster failovers, the remote server's database may be

   the only viable copy.

Eyal: Since Oracle uses the data in the log to perform database recovery, all the information necessary to create a point in time image of the database exists in the log. However, we believe that SharePlex has a better chance to survive a disaster than even a database recovery. This is because SharePlex only needs the data to recover a transaction while Oracle needs all changes present in the log, including index and rollback changes, to successfully recover a database. An index block corruption may render the recovered database useless. History indicates that SharePlex can withstand most log corruptions and data block corruptions, while maintaining a viable live standby site.

If the client is not a 100% sure, SharePlex provides a variety of mechanisms to periodically resync the standby database, including the ability to use a hot backup and 3rd party disk mirroring technologies - all of this without interruption to the main production site and without the need to reactivate the replication.

   Possible Symptoms

   The logs are applied logically, with most correctness checking performed    within the SQL generated by SharePlex, So SharePlex itself must alert the    user to any correctness problems. Absent SharePlex notification, the    destination database likely will continue to work, leaving the user to    discover any incorrect data.

Eyal: Conclusion, Oracle is still obligated to support the Oracle database on both the source and the destination. Quest will provide support for the content. (I am still waiting for the Oracle Sales rep to stand in front of a client and tell them that they do not need to pay for Support on that secondary database :-)

I hope this helps.

Eyal

Author: Jim Hawkins
  INET: jhawkins_at_primary.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Hawkins Family INET: jhawkins_at_primary.net Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists