Re: multiple versions of SQLPlus.exe [now evolved to: multiple versions of tnsnames.ora in NT/W2K]

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:50:27 -0700

In Unix, one can create links to a master by "$ ls -s <some master tnsnames.ora> <some other location/file>". (I know, I could, and probably should, use the TNS_ADMIN environmental variable instead.)

There seems to be no equivalent of this in NT though. Creating a "shortcut" doesn't seem to work. Copying files around seems primitive at best. Am I missing something? [OK, OK! I'll reform and use the environmental variable!]

-Don Granaman
[certifiable OraSaurus]

> Dave,
>
> It seems to me that you are having a problem reading the proper
TNSNAMES.ORA for

> the different DBs. What I would do in your situation is to search for all
> TNSNAMES.ORA files in your PC, since you have products installed in more
than
> one home and more than one version you should have multiple. Edit them
and see
> which ones contain the entries that you need, in one or more of them some
> entries will be missing, what you can do is copy/paste the missing
entries, once

> you have the file you want then copy it to all the different "Homes" and
you
> should be able to connect to the different DB's.

Author: Don Granaman
  INET: granaman_at_home.com