RE: Subquery

From: Toepke, Kevin M <ktoepke_at_cms.cendant.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:22:41 -0700

Jared,

At least with O8i, that's true in about 60-70% of the time. I have found it better to use subqueries instead of joins when that's what you mean. In some cases the optimizer can eliminate a sort step when using sub-queries instead of a join and other times it processes less data.

Sometimes an IN subquery is faster, other times an EXISTS subquery is faster. The point is, you have to try the query all 3 ways.

In this case, I suspect that a subquery will be much faster than the join. (Because of the rownum = 1 restriction)

Kevin

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

Author: Toepke, Kevin M