RE: OT: RE: Fire your DBA's you don't need them anymore...

From: Hillman, Alex <Alex.Hillman_at_usmint.treas.gov>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 14:24:05 -0700

Oracle charges for such guys 250-350 an hour and pay them 50-90K/year (15-20% bonus and 4 weeks of training per year). I would say that Oracle DBA knowing what he or she is doing can make more money in consulting.

Alex Hillman

PS. It would be very useful if US participants of this list post their rates or salaries on www.realrates.com - it is fully anonimous. Also there is very interesting contractors BBS

Author: "Gene Sais" <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date:       5/25/2001 11:52 AM

>From experience, I have used consultants from Oracle. The 1st one sent was
right out of DBA school. We sent him back after 1 week. At that time, Oracle
didn't allow you to interview their DBA's. According to Oracle, they were all
good. The 2nd DBA Oracle sent had only NT experience, never been on a Unix machine. Ok, sent him back too. By this time, we were about to give up, then
Oracle sent DBA #3 and she was sharp. The moral of the story, Oracle will send
the juniors 1st b/c they save the good ones for the 3rd strike :)

>>> Yosi_at_comhill.com 05/25/01 03:01PM >>>
I was once one of those superior i-dba consultants. I was pretty good, and as with this list, some of my colleagues were amazingly talented, knowledgable and great to work with. Others were, well, others.

It's lots of fun to ridicule, disparage, deride, belittle, and mock Oracle Consulting, and don't even get me started about Oracle Support, and I do this all the time too, I just want to put in a good word for SOME of my old friends.

Have a great weekend.

Yosi

  INET: Yosi_at_comhill.com

Author: Gene Sais