RE: Standby vs. Adv. Replication (Multi-master)

From: Nancy McCormick <nmccormick_at_sbti.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:53:05 -0700

I too have had the wonderful experience of supporting multi-master replication. We had 3 sites and there was a lot of work maintaining it. I have not had the opportunity to implement a standby-database yet but from talking with those who have setting up and maintaining a standy-by database would be less painful that setting up advanced replication.

Either way you need to evaluate your network. One of the killers for our initial advanced replication environment was network speed. There just wasn't enough 'umph' to replicate the data real-time (every 60 seconds) between 3 sites.

We used our environment to split workload as well as provide availability when one of the servers was down (either voluntarily or involuntarily). The failover was fairly straight forward, change the DNS information to point the clients to another server and break the push jobs related to the down server. Getting the database back in sync afterwards was a different matter. We were pushing approximately 10,000 database calls an hour. The transaction queue would get so full that many times we simply had to do a complete refresh of the database.

I could keep going on but I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are going to be using the secondary database strictly for failover then it seems to me that the standby-database solution would be easier to implement and maintain.

Nancy

Author: Walter K
  INET: alden14004_at_yahoo.com