Re[2]: Ok two databases..two machines..one database name

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 07:16:15 -0700

Rachel,

    I love that nice short answer. But I'll take the LONG road, if you please.

Steve,

    The SID has nothing to do with the database outside of the physical bounds of the computer your running it on. Over here I'm still running with a very OLD way of setting up SIDs that came up through V5. Back then with SQL*Net V1 Oracle recommended setting your SIDs to something that was "case insensitive". The reason is that the connect string back then was "T:<hostname>:<sid>" so a SID of 'PROD' was different than 'prod' and it could become troublesome to explain it all the time. Well the only thing I can think of that are totally case insensitive are numbers. Consequently whenever we set up a new machine the first instance thereon was designated '02'. Fifteen machines later the strategy still works, makes sense to those of us configuring Oracle Names, and the users could care less. So just as long tnsnames or Oracle Names points to the right database with the right name, your all right.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Rachel Carmichael" <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date:       5/24/2001 5:10 PM

short answer: yes you can