RE: Maximo

From: Bowes, Chris <Chris.Bowes_at_kosa.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:18:33 -0700

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>
  Hi
  James,
  <SPAN
  class=941175117-24052001>
  <SPAN
  class=941175117-24052001>     No we didn't use MTS.    We were on an NT server and it seemed to do a lot better when we analyzed   everything using compute stats and analyzing all indexed columns and setting   up histograms for it.  Also check all the indexes and their columns, we   ran into a lot of them that were just crazy.  On several tables the   change number field was indexed.  It's not used in any queries, but it   was indexed.  There were indexes on change dates.  Then there   were things like the workorder number not being indexed in some of the tables   for the workorder module.  It was absurd.  I hope the newer versions   are better as I'll be going back to them soon.  If I can think of   anything else, I'll let you know.   HTH.   --Chris <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>Chris.Bowes_at_Kosa.com

<FONT face="Times New Roman"

    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: James Xing     [mailto:james.xing_at_merc-tech-grp.com]Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2001     1:37 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list     ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Maximo
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>Thanks Chris,
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>Did you turn on MTS on your production server? Is that     recommended?
    In
    our environment, the system was fine on dev server which is not using     MTS, another DBA who is in charge of production server turned MTS     on and found the performance is 4 times     slower.
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>
<FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial

    size=2>James

      <FONT face=Tahoma
      size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com
      [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Bowes, ChrisSent:
      Wednesday, May 23, 2001 8:28 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list
      ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Maximo
      ON all the maximo installations I have done, the biggest
      problems have been with maxencrypt a table that holds the encrypted key
      that allows everyone in the base.  There is a script that will reset
      this if the users cannot get into the system.   Make sure that
      the character set in the client is set to the same as the base.  If
      users cannot get into the base due to bad password and you *know* the
      user/password are correct, then something happened to the maxencrypt
      and/or the character sets are not the same.  I am hoping that 4i
      eliminates that table, but since I haven't seen it, I don't know if it
      does.
      I don't know about the current version, but when I worked
      with it about a year ago, the indexes were terrible.  We dropped and
      created a number of indexes to improve things.  We used cost base
      optimization (oracle v7 at the time) and and a job that analyzed every
      couple weeks on the big tables and every month on the others.
      If you have to do an import of the base, you will need to
      run the maxora??.sql script that creates a couple views under sys.  I
      am sorry that I cannot remember the script at this moment.
      I'll check with some of my old comrades and see if they can remember
      it.
      If you're moving to production, you probably have all the
      columns defined and sized.  If not, sometimes the column changes do
      not get registered in the maxsyscols table and you'll need to update
      it.
      Otherwise, the system really does quite well once it is
      running.  If I can think of anything else I'll re-reply.
      --Chris <FONT
      size=2>Chris.Bowes_at_Kosa.com
      -----Original Message----- From:
      James Xing [<A
      href="mailto:james.xing_at_merc-tech-grp.com">mailto:james.xing_at_merc-tech-grp.com]
      Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 6:15 PM <FONT
      size=2>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <FONT
      size=2>Subject: Maximo
      Hi Group,
      I have a Maximo system moving into production, using
      Oracle 816/Sun solaris If anyone has experience,
      from DBA point of view, what I should be care of? <FONT
      size=2>anything to change/check? any particular table?
      Thanks James
      -- Please see the official
      ORACLE-L FAQ: <A href="http://www.orafaq.com"
      target=_blank>http://www.orafaq.com --
      Author: James Xing
      INET: james.xing_at_merc-tech-grp.com
      Fat City Network Services    -- (858)
      538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego,
      California        -- Public Internet
      access / Mailing Lists <FONT
      To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail
      message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT
      spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY,
      include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the
      name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may
      also send the HELP command for other information (like
      subscribing).