Re:Another Database Down

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:00:06 -0700

Laura,

    Seems like you've gotten one suggestion on the lk file(s). The other that I would suggest, and this has worked for me in the past with OTS's help, is:

    shutdown abort
    startup mount
    recover database until cancel
    <cancel immediately>
    alter database open resetlogs
    shutdown
    <get a backup NOW>

Dick Goulet

Author: "Burton; Laura L." <BurtonL_at_prismplus.com>
Date:       5/23/2001 3:26 PM

Well, I think the time for jubilation has been short-lived for me. The production database was recovered successfully due to archiving and luck. I also have a small, inhouse, remedy (help desk) database that I haven't done anything with and now recovery is necessary for it as well. The bad news is I wasn't archiving, and although I do have a physical backup, the database was not down.

I restored the datafiles, control files, and redo logs so that everything would be for the same time, but when I try to open the database I get the error "cannot mount database in exclusive mode." The error states that an instance already has it open in exclusive or parallel mode. I am assuming this is because the database was not closed when the backup was executed.

I have tried a few things to 'trick' it, but I guess my magic tricks are not good enough to fool the crowd. I am already bracing myself for what I will probably read in response to this...but I am hopeful that someone will find that rabbit in the hat.

Thank you in advance,
Laura

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2650.12">
<TITLE>Another Database Down</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Well, I think the time for jubilation has been
short-lived for me.&nbsp; The production database was recovered successfully due to archiving and luck.&nbsp; I also have a small, inhouse, remedy (help desk) database that I haven't done anything with and now recovery is necessary for it as well.&nbsp; The bad news is I wasn't archiving, and although I do have a physical backup, the database was not down.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">I restored the datafiles, control files, and redo
logs so that everything would be for the same time, but when I try to open the database I get the error &quot;cannot mount database in exclusive mode.&quot;&nbsp; The error states that an instance already has it open in exclusive or parallel mode.&nbsp; I am assuming this is because the database was not closed when the backup was executed. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">I have tried a few things to 'trick' it, but I
guess my magic tricks are not good enough to fool the crowd.&nbsp; I am already bracing myself for what I will probably read in response to this...but I am hopeful that someone will find that rabbit in the hat.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Thank you in advance,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Arial">Laura</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com