Re: File created by failed Add Datafile command

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 07:46:01 -0700

Too be safe, rename it to datafile.old. Add your datafile. Later, after you tested shutdown/startup, etc. of your db, then delete your old datafile.

>>> JayMiller_at_tdwaterhouse.com 05/24/01 10:15AM >>>
Yesterday I went to add a new datafile and the command failed because I already had datafiles = db_files value. No problem, I increased the parameter and waited until this morning since this database is shut down every night.
I ran the command this morning and discovered that the file was in in fact created on the OS even though it didn't appear in dba_data_files. The time stamp on the file was the time I created it yesterday (all other files have a timestamp of this morning).
I assume I can just either delete this file and reissue the command or issue the command with the REUSE option? I was about to do that and decided to double check with the experts :) since I've never encountered the specific situation before and I still have a week before I really have to worry about space on this tablespace.

Thanks in advance,
Jay Miller

Author: Miller, Jay
  INET: JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com