Re: cpu utilization on solaris

From: Danisment Gazi Unal (Unal Bilisim) <danisment.unal_at_unal-bilisim.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 07:13:49 -0700

Hello,

Hi Ranganath,

This bug is specific to Sun E10000 models when USE_ISM is set. It's Note#77604.1. anyway, setting USE_ISM gains performance. But, if you are using E10000 models, see Note#77604.1. This bug causes Oracle block corruptions.

from Note#77604.1:

There are also cases where the system may seem like it's hung but the kernel CPU usage is so high that no other activity can take place. Simply enabling the ISM reduced the kernel CPU usage, eliminating the hanging situations.

And,

You can also examine your database. many people believe that OS kernel usage is relavent to OS only and Oracle waits do not use CPU. These are definitly wrong. When Oracle waits are timed-out(becasue of semaphore structures), waits check resources if They are available. This took CPU cycles(note that process is still in wait mode). And, If there are a lot of waiting processes in a system, this may cause high kernel CPU usage Since management of timing-out is done in kernel mode.

regards...

Author: Danisment Gazi Unal (Unal Bilisim)
  INET: danisment.unal_at_unal-bilisim.com