RE: Another Database Down

From: Shreter, Hilary <ShreterH_at_orau.gov>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 17:08:37 -0700

No
need to panic yet! Check out Metalink note 1034037.6 which has about 4 possible reasons for this -- all pretty simple.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Burton, Laura L.   [mailto:BurtonL_at_prismplus.com]Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2001 7:27   PMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Another Database Down
  Well, I think the time for jubilation has been   short-lived for me.  The production database was recovered successfully   due to archiving and luck.  I also have a small, inhouse, remedy (help   desk) database that I haven't done anything with and now recovery is necessary   for it as well.  The bad news is I wasn't archiving, and although I do   have a physical backup, the database was not down.   I restored the datafiles, control files, and redo   logs so that everything would be for the same time, but when I try to open the   database I get the error "cannot mount database in exclusive mode."  The   error states that an instance already has it open in exclusive or parallel   mode.  I am assuming this is because the database was not closed when the   backup was executed.
  I have tried a few things to 'trick' it, but I   guess my magic tricks are not good enough to fool the crowd.  I am   already bracing myself for what I will probably read in response to this...but   I am hopeful that someone will find that rabbit in the hat.   Thank you in advance, <FONT face=Arial   size=2>Laura Received on Wed May 23 2001 - 19:08:37 CDT