Re: Oracle DBA vs. Oracle Apps DBA - Different? and how?

From: Glen Mitchell <glen.mitchell_at_peace.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:21:11 -0700

I had the opportunity to meet the architect of Quest Software's "Spotlight for Oracle Apps" product in a recent demo.  His opinion was that a good Oracle Apps Administrator has a good understanding (and experience) of the business/functional side of the Apps system.  That knowledge/experience needs to be combined with experience in pure database administration and operations.  The bits in between, forms and webserver etc..., can be picked up along the way where proficiency is proportional to exposure to the product.
From my limited experience with Oracle Apps I agreed with him due to some of the differculties I experienced.  I was fortunate that I could remove myself from the management of the apps system (which was an auxilliary system to our main product development) and concentrate on our core product which is based on the Oracle Server!  I'm lucky I guess!!
Glen
Gary Weber wrote:
>>Sometimes I think Apps DBA is shorthand for senior
developer.
I'd like to wholeheartedly disagree. Administering Financials fell onto my
lap as "just another Oracle-based product". There is much more to knowing this package than meets the eye from DBA prospective. The technology stack
alone, with database, forms, web server, code...arrrrrr In my humble opinion, a good Apps DBA is not only proficient in database administration, but is also aware of large ERP packages and their implications.
Gary

Author: Gary Weber
  INET: gweber_at_cji.com
Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051
FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        --
Public Internet access / Mailing Lists
may

Glen Mitchell                   NZ Phone: +64 9 3730400
Energy Research Lab             URL: http://www.peace.com
Peace Software                  Email: glen.mitchell_at_peace.com