Another Database Down

From: Burton, Laura L. <BurtonL_at_prismplus.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:20:31 -0700

Well, I think the time for jubilation has been short-lived for me.  The production database was recovered successfully due to archiving and luck.  I also have a small, inhouse, remedy (help desk) database that I haven't done anything with and now recovery is necessary for it as well.  The bad news is I wasn't archiving, and although I do have a physical backup, the database was not down.

I restored the datafiles, control files, and redo logs so that everything would be for the same time, but when I try to open the database I get the error "cannot mount database in exclusive mode."  The error states that an instance already has it open in exclusive or parallel mode.  I am assuming this is because the database was not closed when the backup was executed.

I have tried a few things to 'trick' it, but I guess my magic tricks are not good enough to fool the crowd.  I am already bracing myself for what I will probably read in response to this...but I am hopeful that someone will find that rabbit in the hat.

Thank you in advance,
Laura Received on Wed May 23 2001 - 17:20:31 CDT