RE: Sun Solaris 8 - Listener failed to start a dedicated server p

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:37:49 -0700

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. To recap, I had the following suggestions:
- purge listener.log (Shahid Nasir)

Narender Akula had also asked if we have Oracle 32-bit and Oracle 64-bit versions both running on the same server. Yes we do.

I tried all of the above except using truss. I will experiment with that later. What I did for now to fix the problem: I made the SGA smaller on several of the test databases and the problem went away (it looks like some of the init files were copied over from a production system with no changes. No, I didn't do it, so don't start throwing tomatoes at me.) I'm still not sure why this fixed the problem since ipcs -pmb showed a total of approx. 800MB being used and the machine has 4GB of physical memory. Any further comments are appreciated (except, of course, comments of the type 'Jacques, you're an idiot, don't you know anything about UNIX?')

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive