RE: Sun Solaris 8 - Listener failed to start a dedicated server p

From: eric harrington <eharrington_at_ecora.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:48:05 -0700

<SPAN

class=639240322-22052001>Jacques,
<SPAN

class=639240322-22052001>
I've seen a similar
error with processes and Solaris memory structures.  Someone mentioned increasing SEMMNS, this helped in my situation, however you can try decreasing the PROCESSES parameter temporarily (as low as possible) to test whether the Solaris memory setup is an issue.  There is a formula for sizing SEMMNS, cannot currently find it.
<SPAN

class=639240322-22052001>
Good
luck!

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: root_at_fatcity.com   [mailto:root_at_fatcity.com]On Behalf Of Jacques KilchoerSent:   Tuesday, May 22, 2001 5:26 PMTo: Multiple recipients of list   ORACLE-LSubject: RE: Sun Solaris 8 - Listener failed to start a   dedicated server p
  Thank you for the suggestions so far. <FONT   size=2>Rocky Welch suggesting increasing the "processes" parameter in the   init.ora I tried that with one of the 8.1.6   databases. The "processes" parameter was set to 50, I   increased it to 200, shut down that database, restarted the listener   (lsnrctl>stop and lsnrctl>start) and restarted the database. I still got   "ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process" when   trying to connect to that database from the client.   John Kangaraj has suggested checking the number of semaphores.   I forgot to mention before that I had already looked at that also (I've been   bitten by semaphores before.) I counted 780 semaphores being used (from ipcs)   and 1024 being the maximum allowed (from /etc/system). (see below)   I'm still new to Sun Solaris and I'm totally stumped. Does   anyone else have any other ideas? I really would prefer not running   multi-threaded server (MTS) if I don't have to, which was one of the   suggestions on Metalink.
  Am I interpreting the available memory information correctly?   (see below) For physical memory, I think I see 4GB available and 622 MB being   used. As far as swap, I see approx. 4GB available.