Multiple schema's or multiple databases

From: Sam Roberts <rabbit_at_emirates.net.ae>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:31:28 -0700

Oracle 8.1.6 and Solaris
I'm going to inherit production databases when I start my new job next week. I gather that the production database consists of 8 schema's (8 companies) that are all in one database. Its an ERP package called Maximo and it interfaces to Financials 11i databases (don't know if this is multiple databases or schema's yet).
Apparently there is some data passing between companies and multiple schema's perform better than using database links with multiple databases, and this is the reason for multiple schema's. Does anyone have an opinion on this. If I'd have done it I would have done multiple databases as they are separate companies, but I'm open to comments as not quite got my head round it yet, plus I've been vacationing (partying) for 3 weeks.

Thanx

Sam