RE: Binding a process to a CPU .

From: Mohan, Ross <MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 08:32:28 -0700

Why would one think on a database server that one could manage run queues better than Unix?

I *do* understand a (tiny) bit about onchip processor cache and register/pipeline flushes, but I think the value of having "all" processors available to the scheduling algorithm outweighs that.

I once knew a guy from Sequent who would probably be able to paper-napkin me source code in Dynix/ptx that would support this claim, but he is on vacation only working 60 hours a week now.

Anyway, I'd experiment with affinities, but track results carefully, and only then decide.....

sounds like fun work....good luck, buena suerte, mit gluck, bon chance, et cetera....

Author: Mohan, Ross
  INET: MohanR_at_STARS-SMI.com