RE: historical data

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 20:16:10 -0700

David,
 It was mainframe and COBOL shop, we did not use delimiters in the data files. All the files were using fixed format for data fields. There was one file per table (datasets as they are called in the Burroughs (Unisys) DMSII database). I think one file per table would be much easier to deal with (SQL*Loader, for example). Logically combining data while unloading is another method to consider to save number of files/disk space etc. However, re-loading from such data will be a rather involved process. Of course, YMMV.. You may also know that Jared has a dump.sql script to unload table data into a comma delimited ASCII file. I have used that script a few times. Works great. It also builds the SQL*Loader control file to load the data back. You can find it at http://www.cybcon.com/~jkstill/util/util_master.html.

HTH Regards,
- Kirti Deshpande
  Verizon Information Services
   http://www.superpages.com