9iAS Forms Stability Follow-up

From: <elkinsl_at_flash.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:12:27 -0700

Listers,

I asked about this question a while back (9iAS 1.0.2 / Forms 6i Patch 2 / Apache / connect mode = http / HP-UX 11.0). I thought I would give an update since a few people showed interested in the subject.

They were seeing the Forms server crash numerous times a day in a test environment. After the SA and DBA's opened up a TAR, Oracle recommended using sockets for the current version due to a handful of problems using http/https connect mode. Oracle recommended going on up to Patch 5 when available, but, in the meantime to use Patch 4 and apply a one off to that. Supposedly that will stabilize things when using the http connection mode. They also want to use native IE (lots of stuff on that, long story). And while they have got that running well, Oracle Support said numerous problems would be encountered, under load, going with native IE unless they got up to date on the patches. They are also still considering, due to licensing costs
(I think), testing things using Win2k servers running 9iAS and the Forms
Servers as opposed to the 4 HP "D" boxes currently dedicated as Forms Servers on the existing OAS/Forms 5.0 intranet deployed app.

Since changing to sockets on Patch 2, they haven't seen any problems with the forms server crashing. This is testing with both JInitiator and native IE. They aren't putting a huge load on it though.

If anyone has thoughts, war stories, or any other info they want to add, or, correct anything said above, have at it.

If anyone is interested in keeping in the loop on what they find out, drop me a *PRIVATE* email and I will do my best to relay any information, pitfalls, problems, successes, etc that they encounter.

Regards,

Larry G. Elkins
elkinsl_at_flash.net

  INET: elkinsl_at_flash.net