RE: Export Split Script

From: Rajaram <rajaram_k_at_netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:45:12 -0700

  1. Create a Pipe , say usr1.pipe. A pipe is a FIFO structure. /bin/rm /dsk1/usr1.pipe /bin/mknod /dsk1.usr1.pipe p ( See your version of UNIX - mknod differs in its usage - i mean the syntax - some strains require that u mention -p )
  2. Let compress listen at one end of the pipe. cat /dsk1/usr1.pipe |compress >/dsk9/usr1.dmp.Z & In the above step while making compress listen to one end of the pipe - you are also sending its output to a different file. So, compress captures data at one end of the pipe and as and when it encounters data it compresses it and sends it to an output file. Make sure to run it in background.
  3. Now do an export - in place of the export dump file mention the pipe. By doing this exp will be putting data at one end of the pipe ( and compress will be taking data at the other end) exp / file=/dsk1/usr1.pipe buffer=64000 2> usr1.log

While importing, In a similar fashion, let uncompress listen at one end while imp TAKES data at the other end.

Rajaram
The value of an idea lies in the using of it. - Thomas Edison

Author: Rajaram
  INET: rajaram_k_at_netzero.net