RE: newbie question

From: Diego Cutrone <dcutrone_at_afip.gov.ar>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:25:39 -0700

Hi,

    Yes, you can modify instance parameters in the initXYZ.ora file.      After you change them, they take effect when you bounce the instance (shutdown and startup)

     Also, there are some parameters that can be modify on the fly, without bouncing the instance.

    check this.

SQL> desc v$parameter

 Name                            Null?    Type
 ------------------------------- -------- ----
 NUM                                      NUMBER
 NAME                                     VARCHAR2(64)
 TYPE                                     NUMBER
 VALUE                                    VARCHAR2(512)
 ISDEFAULT                                VARCHAR2(9)
 ISSES_MODIFIABLE                         VARCHAR2(5)
 ISSYS_MODIFIABLE                         VARCHAR2(9)
 ISMODIFIED                               VARCHAR2(10)
 ISADJUSTED                               VARCHAR2(5)
 DESCRIPTION                              VARCHAR2(64)

SQL> column name format a60
SQL> column value format a20

SQL> column ISSYS_MODIFIABLE format a6
SQL> select name,value,ISSYS_MODIFIABLE from v$parameter;
NAME                                                         VALUE
ISSYS_
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------
----- ------
processes                                                    50
FALSE
sessions                                                     60
FALSE
timed_statistics                                             TRUE
IMMEDIATE <<<-----------

You can change timed_statistics value with this command:

alter system set timed_statistics=true;

Hope it helps
DC

Author: Diego Cutrone