RE: job offer from SAUDI ARABIA

From: Brian MacLean <bmaclean_at_vcommerce.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 08:54:15 -0700

<FONT face=Arial

color=#0000ff size=2>I'm sorry but I can help but laugh out loud that you took a job and didn't research this.  At a minimum your new employer should have informed you of what to expect.  I too at one time looked into taking a job in Saudi Arabia.  I have known several people who have worked and/or visited on business and all have been glad to leave and will NOT be going back again.  Being an American citizen I could make a few statements about personal freedoms here and the lack of the the same there but.....nuff' said.
<SPAN

class=248533215-16052001>
Read
the following excerpt and follow the links, and "Be Very Very Afraid".
<SPAN

class=248533215-16052001>
<SPAN

class=248533215-16052001>
CUSTOMS REGULATIONS:
Saudi customs authorities enforce strict regulations concerning importation into Saudi Arabia of such banned items as alcohol products, weapons and any item that is held to be contrary to the tenets of Islam. This includes non-Islamic religious materials, pork products, and pornography. Saudi customs and postal officials broadly define what is contrary to Islam, and therefore prohibited. Christmas decorations, fashion magazines, and "suggestive" videos may be confiscated and the owner subject to penalties and fines. It is advisable to contact the Embassy of Saudi Arabia in Washington or one of Saudi Arabia's consulates in the United States for specific information regarding customs requirements.
<SPAN

class=248533215-16052001>
<SPAN

class=248533215-16052001><A
href="http://www.amnesty-usa.org/countries/saudi_arabia/">http://www.amnesty-usa.org/countries/saudi_arabia/
<A

href="http://www.transatlanticpub.com/cat/travel/livi1520.html">http://www.transatlanticpub.com/cat/travel/livi1520.html
<A

href="http://travel.state.gov/saudi.html">http://travel.state.gov/saudi.html

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Bunyamin K. Karadeniz   [mailto:bunyamink_at_havelsan.com.tr]Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001   5:50 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   job offer from SAUDI ARABIA
  Hi all ,
  I have taken an offer from a company in Europe to   work in Saudi Arabia for 2 years.
  But I must learn the living conditions   there.
  &#304;f there is an Arabian here , can you answer   these..

  1. How are the living conditions?Expensive?
  2. Will my wife have to cover her hair? Is it mandatory there?
  3. How are the social activities like cinema?   Thanks.