Re: Shutdown database abort

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:55:39 -0700

Shreepad Vaidya wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Preferably try for
> 1) Shutdown (normal mode ) .If your application has many user
> connected tell them to disconnect first else this might take eons.
> or
> 2) shutdown immediate . (Remember this will rollback transactions ,
> but for long uncommitted transactions this will take a long time) )
>
> As far as possible do not give Shutdown abort except in
> extreme circumstances .
>
> In Oracle 8 onwards
>
> 3) Shutdown transactional will allow you to complete the transaction.
>
> shreepad

Are you running DBA_JOBS? (job_queue_processes>0) Do you have Agents running?
These types of processes can interfere with a shutdown immediate (let alone shutdown normal).
If you break your DBA_JOBS first - and kill the agent processes - then a shutdown immediate should be okay.

IMHO: shutdown abort
startup restrict
shutdown normal

sounds like the "only way to be sure" to have a clean shutdown before a *COLD* backup.

Hot backups may be a better solution for daily backups, if the database is in archivelog mode.

Paul

Author: Paul Drake
  INET: paled_at_home.com