Re: I want to re-install system, how can I backup and recover?

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 13:24:06 -0700

well if you are lucky and all the files are there, yes, backup the physical datafiles and when you bring the database up again, Oracle will recover.

You MAY have to open the database resetlogs.

Questions though:

is the database still up? Can you shut it down cleanly (shutdown) and then do a cold backup of all the files? You are golden then.

if the database is NOT up, do you run the database in archivelog or nonarchivelog mode. This will determine what you have to do to restart/recover the database.

But no matter what take a backup of ALL the physical files on your system. This gives you a place to go back to if you do something incorrectly. Always good to have somewhere to go to start over.

Rachel

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: carmichr_at_hotmail.com