RE: Data Reporting tools

From: Dawn White <DXWhite_at_darden.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:50:27 -0700

I have a couple of opinions here on several of these products.

Discoverer is more of an Adhoc querying tool for one quick answers to issues. For example say you gave a manager a report and one number seemed to high for what they are accustom to seeing. They can quickly go into Discoverer and produce an online report that can be drilled down right into the line detail of the total. Of course with Discoverer the success/failure of the acceptance on this software is dependent on the administrator. Discoverer is always growing and new views are created on a continuous basis. One nice feature of Discoverer is the fact that you can bring in external data. Training an end user on Discoverer takes about 1 hour and if the user already knows Excel the training is even better. One down fall I have seen with Discoverer is that if you want to create a report similar to one that is all ready produce you have to start from scratch. Discover also reports across the various modules in Oracle Financials. This system will give you real time data.

Cognos I do not like for one main reason; They are a closed environment and will not read other files into their "cubes". In my book that is not acceptable.

Oracle Financial Analyzer is a tool that is similar to Discoverer but was designed for the Financial Analyst out there and to do many projection. It has as standard functionality more of the statistical calculation. If you want these calculation in Discoverer you will have to create the function and register it in Discoverer. There are more slicing and dicing that can occur in OFA and the success of this tool is also dependent on the administrator. OFA is built on a "cube" environment and if I remember correctly is not real time and needs a job to update the data on a daily basis.

Author: Ruiz, Mary A (CAP, CDI)
  INET: Mary.Ruiz_at_gecapital.com

Author: Dawn White
  INET: DXWhite_at_darden.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 10 2001 - 13:50:27 CDT