Re: select for update...

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 18:22:26 -0700

Dick explained the locks, I'll talk a little about how I've used it and seen it used.

In an user application, doing a SELECT FOR UPDATE and letting the user update the data in the form at his or her leisure and then COMMIT the data is very bad practice. Sounds kind of like Designer 2000 in that regard.

Anyway, the user selects the data, goes to lunch. You then get frantic calls on how the database is 'broken'.

The typical way to deal with this is to select the data into the user app, let the user modify the data, then do another select to determine if someone else has changed the data while your user was monkeying with it.

If the data has changed, issue a warning, let them see the changes, whatever, then let the user decide what to do, which is usually to abort the changes.

Oracle Forms will do this checking for you automatically, saving you a fair amount of complex coding.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com