Re: Enterprise Manger

From: Rodd Holman <rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 14:17:01 -0700

WELCOME BACK BAMBI!!! Great to see you back.
What version of Oracle and OEM are you dealing with? Don't know if you have MetaStink access, but I found this out there. Hope it might be helpful.

Rodd Holman
rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com

Doc ID:

          Note:114682.1

          TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE: How To Troubleshoot A VTK-1000
          Error
  Type:
          BULLETIN

Content Type:

               TEXT/PLAIN

Creation Date:

               07-JUL-2000

Last Revision Date:

               07-MAR-2001

  TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE: VTK-1000 Error

  Goal: How to troubleshoot a VTK-1000 error.

  Fact: Oracle Enterprise Manager

  Change: NOTE ROLE:
  The Enterprise Manager (EM) Console connects to a middle-tier service called the
  Management Server (OMS). If this connection attempt fails for any reason, the
  EM Client will receive the error:

     VTK-1000: Unable to connect to Management Server <Name>
     Please verify that you have entered the correct name and
         status of the Oracle Management Server
                             OK

  Fix: The VTK-1000 error can occur due to problems with the EM Client setup
  or because the Management Server is not started. To troubleshoot the error,
  begin at the EM Client:

  EM Client:

  1. Verify the Management Server hostname listed in the EM Console logon window is the correct hostname. For additional information, see [NOTE:1067911.6]
  2. Verify the Management Server hostname is reachable through TCP/IP from the EM Client system. For additional information, see [NOTE:1077548.6]
  3. Verify the EM Console and Management Server are at the same patch level.

  Next, go to the Management Server:
  4. Verify the Management Server is started.

      For additional information, see:
      [NOTE:107235.1] How To Start A Management Server From A Dos Prompt
on NT
      [NOTE:117193.1] How To Start A Management Server Running DHCP
      [NOTE:109494.1] How To Start A Management Server On Unix

      If the Management Server will not start, turn on OMS logging and
look in
      the oms log file for possible failure messages.

      NOTE: For instructions on how to log the OMS startup process, see
            Additional Troubleshooting hints listed below.

  If the EM client is setup correctly, check the Management Server:   See [NOTE:133799.1] Troubleshooting Guide: How to Troubleshoot Problems starting
  the Management Server.

  Additional Troubleshooting

  If the solutions listed above do not resolve the VTK-1000, additional debugging
  information must be captured.

  1. To Trace the EM Console, see [NOTE:106074.1].
  2. To Trace the OMS, see [NOTE:68741.1].

  Additional debugging information can also be found in [NOTE:69522.1].

  References

  General Setup Information:
  [NOTE:107241.1] QUICK START GUIDE Enterprise Manager 2.1

  EM Client Problems:
  [NOTE:1067911.6] Logging into EM Console Fails with VTK-1000 When OMS Hostname

                   is Incorrect

  [NOTE:1077548.6] Logging into EM Console Fails with VTK-1000 After Changing the
                   OMS Hostname

  .

On 5/8/01, 3:17:01 PM, Bambi Bellows <ultrageek_at_techie.com> wrote regarding Enterprise Manger:

> Greetings, Fellow OraHax! Long time no see. I've been off doing
interesting things for awhile and have been pretty quiet. I've got a problem and I'm pretty embarrassed by it. Let me write embedded SQL/Korn shell or do funky DBA things all day but don't make me use a GUI! But, well, we do what we have to.

> Anyway, I have Enterprise Manager running on a remote NT box. I have
created a repository owner (entmgr) and made sure that the service is running. If I try going into enterprise manager with just the SID, I get VTK-1000. If I try to log in specifying the machine name (which I tried on a lark... it doesn't make sense to me to specify the machine name), I get "invalid login credential supplied".

Author: Rodd Holman
  INET: rodney.holman_at_lodgenet.com