Re: Hey, looks like MS got .NET to work!!

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 09:19:31 -0700

www.grc.com got nailed:

   "~ WE WERE UNDER ATTACK ~   At approximately 8:00 PM Pacific Time, a concerted Distributed   Denial of Service (DDoS) attack was initiated against us. The attack   was trivial to block once we made contact with our ISP but that   took 17 hours! I am preparing a complete analysis and report on   the attack including the complete IP list of machines which have   had their security compromised for participtation in the attack.   It will be online as soon as possible! "

An interesting article on "Information War" used to be up at the following site, but it looks like they locked it down:

   http://www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~johnsong/infowar/

regards,
ep

On 8 May 2001, at 7:17, dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:

> ** DDOS Attacks On The Rise

> The FBI has published a tool called Find DDOS to help
> administrators determine if systems have been infected by a DDOS
> agent. The tool is available at
> www.nipc.gov/warnings/advisories/2000/00-55.htm .

(above URL not available as of 5/8/2001 at 8:35am pacific time)

use this?:

http://www.nipc.gov/warnings/advisories/2000/00-055.htm

(linked from:
http://www.nipc.gov/warnings/advisories/2001/01-012.htm )