RE: How to deal with needing function based indexes but stuck wit

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 13:07:20 -0700

If you have a column that will be used in a search, you could a) Put a trigger on the column to force it to uppercase or lowercase before the column is inserted or updated; b) If the column needs to be stored exactly as it is entered (sometimes uppercase, sometimes lowercase) you could create a trigger that creates an uppercase or lowercase version of the column in a separate column, and put the index on the separate column.

c) You could investigate the context cartridge and see if that would help your situation. (Is that available with the standard edition?)

I'm sure other/better ideas will be forthcoming from the list.

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive