RE: OT -- MS makes a statement about open-source software movemen

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 10:07:14 -0700

dude,

semi-intuitive/deductive?

re: ".net"

what I've seen is a lot of the usual eternally poorly, or partly, thought out MS-hate, mostly secondary/derivative material on email lists, along with some good criticism (good as in: based on either sophisticated technical, or political grounds).

on the other hand, at this campus, the desktop support R&D guy, who is more or less agnostic (occasionally slight pro-MS leanings) says that .net is expectde to take care of some major vexing problems with client platform rollouts and maintenance.

And you saw the forward from the folks at our local user group who appear to have done some careful preliminary examination of the two strategies.

As an "independent", I see massive problems on the MS side.

BUT, as in virtually all the "conflict" based clashes between people that have become emotionaly invested in "one side" or another of an argument about values, beliefs and "aesthetics", excesses and rhetorical distortions will be in evidence on both "sides".

It is easy for people in the "purist" camp of the tech community to trash MS' greed and monopolistic excesses (and the underlying value/belief system). It is much harder for some "purists" to maintain a sophisticated, balanced "good faith" approach to dialoging with people with other perspectives, and to engage in healthy self criticism.

The tendency for people to become obsessive about "advocating" their own (or their own groups') perspective and therefore loose the ability to tolerate, and appreciate other perspectives (especially to the extent of becoming reactionary) is called "instrumentalization" by social theorists.

I've paid more attention to the cultural mapping of these issues in relation to 1) science/religion dialogue (e.g., the Kansas School Board controversy about teaching of evolutionary theory), the broad outlines of "liberal vs. conservative" conflict over social engineering policies (esp. public education & welfare state), and issues in international relations (e.g., Giddens', of the London School of Economics, "constructivist" perspective).

---excerpt---

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745622674

   Book Description

   The idea of finding a "third way" in politics has been widely    discussed - not only in the UK, but in the US, Continental Europe    and Latin America. But what is the third way? Supporters of the    notion haven't been able to agree, and critics deny the    possibility altogether. Anthony Giddens shows that developing a    third way is not only a possibility but a necessity in modern    politics. The third way represents the renewal of social democracy    in a world where the views of the old left have become obsolete,    while those of the new right are inadequate and contradictory. A    new social democratic agenda is emerging that is integrated,    robust and wide-ranging. It is an agenda that can rekindle    political idealism.

   The author's previous works, especially "Beyond Left and Right"    (Polity Press 1994), have influenced debates about the social    democracy in many countries across the world. Frequently referred    to in the UK as Tony Blair's guru, Giddens has made a strong    impact on the evolution of New Labour. The author or editor of    over thirty books, he is currently the Director of the London    School of Economics and Political Science. ...

---end---

In terms of transcending (not invalidating) the limitations of older value/belief systems, one useful tool is called "standpoint epistemology", which assumes that "truth" (or "beauty", or "good") can legitimately be "seen" from a variety of differing perspectives, and that definitions of "difference" don't need to be constrained within the context of ideas about "exclusion".

Anyway, while the connection between ideology, partisan politics, etc. and the computer industry is not at all obvious or simple, the manner in which people tend to form oppositional "camps" around ideological positions and value/belief systems in the "purist vs. popularizer" debate seems to have many of the same characteristics as in other instances of conflict oriented social/political interaction.

The characteristic dysfunctional dynamic would lead one to expect to frequently see both "sides" in such conflicts shooting themselves in the foot with wild abandon.

regards,
ep

On 4 May 2001, at 20:00, Mohan, Ross wrote:

Date sent:              Fri, 04 May 2001 20:00:21 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:          ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu