Re: multiple schema in a database ???

From: William Beilstein <BeilstWH_at_obg.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 07:14:05 -0700

Oh by the way, an easy way to set up the same structure for each user is to build all the tables in a setup schema, then do the following.

  1. Export everything in the setup schema using the following command exp userid=setup/pass file=setup.exp
  2. Create the new schema (user), making sure to set the temporary tablespace and default tablespace to the correct tablespaces. Make sure that the user is granted the CONNECT role.
  3. set the quota on the default tablespace to a unlimited or a reasonable max. In a class environment, I would suggest a set size. Set the quota on all other tablepsaces to none.
  4. connected as the dba, import the export from the setup schema into the new schema using the following command. imp userid=dbauser/pass file=setup.exp ignore=y fromuser=setup touser= newuser

When you are done, you have an exact copy of the tables, indexes, sequences... that were in the setup schema.

>>> BeilstWH_at_obg.com 05/07/01 09:26AM >>> Having multiple schemas is a very normal part of an Oracle Database. For example, our current database has 70 different schemas

>>> stefan.jahnke_at_d2vodafone.de 05/07/01 03:00AM >>> Andrea Oracle schrieb:
>
> Hi all,
>
> We'll have a meeting about the following issue:
>
> Due to large amount of transactions each trainee has,
> the existing training database in Sybase used multiple
> databases to handle each trainee's transactions. To
> implement this in Oracle, we may need to create
> multiple schemas in one Oracle database, instead of
> creating multiple Oracle databases. Let's investigate
> the impact of having multiple schema in a database.
>
> Looks like Public synonym needs to be get rid off. Any
> other idea about the impact of having multiple schema?
>
> And is there an easy way to create a schema which is
> identical to another one?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Andrea

> http://auctions.yahoo.com/
> Author: Andrea Oracle
> INET: andreaoracle_at_yahoo.com

> This Mail has been checked for Viruses
> Attention: Encrypted Mails can NOT be checked !
>
> ***
>
> Diese Mail wurde auf Viren ueberprueft
> Hinweis: Verschluesselte Mails koennen NICHT geprueft werden!

Hi,

I think that you're database won't work that well anymore if you try to get rid of PUBLIC.
Why would you want to do that in the first place ?

--
Regards,
Stefan Jahnke
Author: Stefan Jahnke