RE: OT -- MS makes a statement about open-source software movemen

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 05:17:10 -0700

I think .net will catch on, because it will be pushed by a company that has about 96% of the PC desktop market... all the other vendors (including Oracle with its java-centric view of the world) will have to accommodate .net.

Ahem, how compatible will .net be with java, I wonder, given that it will be entirely developed by MS? You can bet that .net will run faster on the Windows platform than Java, as well, which will help it gain momentum.

Will we have to push something like JInitiator onto client machines in case they have .net running on them? I am just one DBA worrying about this...

Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO

Author: Boivin, Patrice J
  INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca