Re: export and import advise

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2001 09:04:42 -0700

Rajaram wrote:

> Yes, U r right. This method is used basically for migration.
> I was asked in an interview as to how I will do migration. I said,
> Export - Create DDL in Ora * - and import.
>
> The guy at the other end was a jerk - he says - why do u need to do a DDL?
> We need to do a DDL to take care of storage params.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Raj

If you run imp with ROWS=N and INDEXFILE=lets_see_storage_clause.lst (name irrelevant)
you'll see that you're inheriting the exact same storage configuration as existed in the 7.3 db.

The default storage clauses were pretty awful back in 7.3 - 12K initial extent with a pct increase of 50%.

Next time - turn it around and go on the attack - start asking HIM questions about HIS storage clauses.

Tell him that you've decided to stop defragmenting and start living, and use uniform extent sizes within a tablespace, and that you prefer to pre-create all of your objects - inheriting the storage clause from the tablespace defaults - and then refer him to the white paper on Technet.

then ask him if he still tunes using cache hit ratios (thanks Gaja).

hth,

Paul
Master of Migration :)

Author: Paul Drake