RE: OT -- marketing (was Windows vs. UNIX)

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 11:38:48 -0700

Does that apply to Oracle's complex, frequently nearly inpenetrable ever changing jargon related to product line/descriptions and marketing/pricing information, or "just" the technology? :)

As far as the general topic of marketing effectiveness and/or failure, there used to be some sort of marketing industry award that was given out to giant corporations that spent vast sums on marketing consultants and ad campaigns that are huge flops. It is not unusual at all. Of course it is essentially a virtual reality industry, so you can imagine the difficulty of trying to q/a that stuff.

My guess is that one of the justifications for big IT corps to spend vast sums on mass "public image" ads is to intimidate competition by creating the appearance of "normalcy" (about the corporation doing th advertising) in public opinion.

In other words, when I see a TV ad for PacBell "data operations" I know that it is probably even more of a huge pile of cr*p than the average corporate ad, and somehow suspect it is related to Worldcom's ads, and some attempt to create a "perception" that PacBell is able (is is soon going to be able) to effectively compete with Worldcom in data services.

etc.

regards,
ep

On 1 May 2001, at 9:37, Kirsh, Gary wrote:

Date sent:              Tue, 01 May 2001 09:37:06 -0800
To:                     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu