Re:redo size and log_checkpoint_interval

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 09:47:27 -0700

Mitchell,

    A check point must occur at the interval, timeout, and log switch. Now in my mind the least of these is the log switch which is controlled by the log file size. Other than the checkpoint and it's associated overhead, the only thing else that happens during a log switch is the archiver making a copy of the log to the archive_dest.

    Where does all of this lead, well the size of the log file in many ways affects the granularity of the recovery that can later be accomplished if and when a disk drive fails. I always assume that the worst thing possible will happen, namely I'll loose an online redo log (and the active one to boot), when that drive quits. Now if you've for a 100MB log file then there is 40MB or 30 minutes of transactions that are lost. On the other hand if you've got a 10MB log with 3 minutes of transactions, then you can get a whole lot closer to right now when you recover.

    Which way you go is dependent on how close to failure time do you need to get for your customenr (users) to be happy. In my case the least amount of lost transactions resluts in the least amount of product that has to be tossed/retested resulting in the least $.

    Which way you decide to go is very much an individual choice. OH, BTW you could mirror your log files to prevent the catastrophe, but in my case that increases the disk $.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Mitchell" <mitchell_at_comnet.ca>
Date:       4/30/2001 1:10 PM

Dear DBA

I have 130 gb database running on 7/24 basis. redo logfile size is 40mb and oracle create about most to 400 archivive log. that mean log switch happend at 3-4 min at peak time.

As oracle suggest, it is better log switch between 30min. (Why, if so that need more recovery time?)
If I will increase the size to 100mb and make time around 30 min. How about Log_checkpooint_interval. My currently setting is 2097152 (20mb). log_checkpoint_timeout = 0

As my understand, the interval based on volume. If setting is 100mb, mean 5 check point will occured at 20mb interval. I am right?

Any suggest?

Mitchell

Author: Mitchell
  INET: mitchell_at_comnet.ca

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue May 01 2001 - 11:47:27 CDT