RE: Windows vs. UNIX

From: William Beilstein <BeilstWH_at_obg.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:09:13 -0700

Another reason might be that I have Oracle on a Sun Solaris server and in the last four years, the only time it has gone down is for hardware upgrades and power outages (manually after the building UPS ran down). I don't want to get in a screaming war with all the Bill Gate lovers out there, but UNIX servers are just more stable. On the down side, they do need a more knowledgeable administrator who is comfortable with editing configuration files and using command line tools. I personally like using the command line. You tend to be able to have finer control and much faster command selection. I still shell out to dos on my windows workstation when I want to do mass copies (xcopy), formatiing.... etc

>>> Yosi_at_comhill.com 04/30/01 05:21PM >>> Roy,

Forgive me my lack of understanding, but if you don't know why one would choose Unix over Windows, why are you proposing Unix altogether?

Yosi

  INET: Yosi_at_comhill.com

Author: William Beilstein
  INET: BeilstWH_at_obg.com