ORA-24347 (null column in aggregate function) - SQL*Plus 8.1.6 to

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 10:16:23 -0700

I'm a little stumped. I'm using SQL*Plus 8.1.6.0.0 client to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5 database on a Windows NT server. I want to get the count of objects for each user, with a 0 count for users without any objects. But when i run the query, errors message ORA-24347 is returned. Why would that be?

When I run the query directly on the server, using a SQL*Plus 8.0.5 client, the query returns the expected data with no errors. Is there a bug in Metalink for this? I didn't find anything, but maybe my searching skills need some honing. Should I stick with older versions of the SQL*Plus client?

Results with 8.1.6 client to 8.0.5 database: SQL> select count (*) from dba_users where username is null ;

  COUNT(*)

         0

SQL> select count (*) from dba_objects where owner is null ;

  COUNT(*)

         0

SQL> select count (*) from dba_objects where object_name is null ;

  COUNT(*)

         0

SQL> select a.username, count (object_name)
  2  from dba_users a, dba_objects b
  3  where a.username = b.owner (+)
  4  group by a.username ;

ERROR:
ORA-24347: Warning of a NULL column in an aggregate function

Jacques R. Kilchoer
(949) 754-8816
Quest Software, Inc.
8001 Irvine Center Drive