Problems with hot backup via BCV's...

From: Jim Hawkins <JHawkins_at_memc.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:23:15 -0700

List,

Oracle 8.0.4.3.0
AIX 4.3.3
EMC Symmetrix
SAPR/3 4.0B
200,000+ transactions/day; 300GB database.

Here's what we do:

1.  Put all tablespaces in hot backup mode.
2.  Split/Sync mirror.
3.  Take tablespaces out of hot backup mode (usually after only 3-5
minutes).
4. Take BCV backup of this mirror.

Problem is, when restored, sometimes the database can be opened resetlogs, and sometimes it can't. When it opens, we just apply all archive logs generated during steps 1 through 3, then open resetlogs and it works fine. The other half of the time, Oracle complains that the system datafile still needs more recovery. You can keep applying logs and it will never open. Oracle had me take header dumps to check for "fuzzy SCN's", which these do appear to have. Oracle says this is a bad backup set even though EMC thinks it was fine. By the way, "fuzzy SCN's" are SCN's that have a hex value that evaluates to a nonnumeric, nonsensical number.

Was wondering if anyone else was having issues with hot BCV backups and restoring them. We are current in terms of EMC TimeFinder and other software. It just seems to be hit or miss with these backups (obviously we take other backups too, but these are the easiest and most timely).

Thanks,
Jim

Jim Hawkins
Lead SAPR/3 Oracle Database Administrator MEMC Electronic Materials, Inc.
600 Pearl Drive
St. Louis, MO 633376
9636) 474-7832
jhawkins_at_memc.com (work)
jhawkins_at_primary.net (home)

Author: Jim Hawkins
  INET: JHawkins_at_memc.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Apr 27 2001 - 14:23:15 CDT