OFA and SAN - Why not group all db files on its own mount point?

From: Lanteigne, Mike <MLanteigne_at_edc-see.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:58:39 -0700

Hello List,

I'm planning an upgrade of four databases on one server from 7.3.4 to 8.1.7 on Solaris. We are in the initial stages of implementing a Storage Area Network (SAN) project, initially 10TB on EMC hardware. The database server will use the SAN for its storage so I will have no decision on where datafile are actually stored (those involved in a SAN implementation know what I mean).

So... I'm looking at the OFA docs - where datafiles from different databases are on different mount points mostly for I/O purposes e.g.: Non SAN OFA:

md03/

         oradata/
                 db_1/
                             system01
                             data01
                             control01
                             redoG1M1
                             redoG2M1

                   db_2/
                             system01
                             data01
                             control01
                             redoG1M1
                             redoG2M1
md04/
         oradata/
                 db_1/
                             index01
                             temp01
                             control02
                             redoG1M2
                             redoG2M2
                   db_2/
                             index01
                             temp01
                             control02
                             redoG1M2
                             redoG2M2

In a SAN implementation, it seems to me that since I/O is no longer a parameter I can control, why not group each database on its own mount point e.g.:
md03/

         oradata/
                 db_1/
                             system01
                             data01
                             index01
                             temp01
                             control01
                             control02
                             redoG1M1
                             redoG1M2
                             redoG2M1
                             redoG2M2

md04/
         oradata/
                 db_2/
                             system01
                             data01
                             index01
                             temp01
                             control01
                             control02
                             redoG1M1
                             redoG1M2
                             redoG2M1
                             redoG2M2

I know it looks scary. Lets say I separate the control files on separate mount points. In reality the SAN puts the files all over the place, making copies on multiple volumes, so I think I'm fooling myself by thinking I'm buying anything by using separate mount points.

Any thoughts? Anyone set up a dir structure using a SAN. Admin seems simpler the second way.

Thanks

Mike Lanteigne

Author: Lanteigne, Mike
  INET: MLanteigne_at_edc-see.ca

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Apr 27 2001 - 11:58:39 CDT