RE: Real-life Stand-by DB implementation stories?

From: Martin Kendall <Martin.Kendall_at_Rubus.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:48:46 -0700

Hi Earl,

  1. Sun Solaris 2.7
  2. 8.1.6.0.0
  3. The Standby is required for Reporting use during Normal Business Hours. So during that time frame day it is setup as READ ONLY. This requires a TEMPFILE Temporary Tablespace to allow things like Sorting in any queries as the SYSTEM Tablespace is READ ONLY. Outside of the normal Business Hours, the Standby is Shut Down then restarted as a STANDBY DATABASE, which allows for recovery but NOTHING ELSE, using the accumulated Arch. Redo files. The accumulated Arch. Redo files are manually sent from the Production DB to the Standby (ftp cron job - every minute)during the Business Hours. Once the Standby is recovered it is OPEN READ ONLY again for Reporting use.
  4. I assume you mean: how long to implement above strategy ? Well, it is just a case of creating a Stanby Control file and then copying ALL the DB files from Prod. to Stby. Then starting the Standby in STANDBY mode to apply the initial Arch. Redo. files. So the time it will take is a function of the size of the DB. It took me half a day do do a 12GB Database.

You can see that although this is a robust solution, it STILL doesn't provide a recovery to the actual time of losing the Prod. DB. Since the cron Job is running every minute and NOT every time an Arch. Redo file is
written.

Hope this helps. If you need more info then just ask via the list so that more people can benefit/contribute
from/to our discussion.

Martin Kendall (still on that road to OCP and the ultimate enlightenment...)

Author: Martin Kendall
  INET: Martin.Kendall_at_Rubus.com