Off Topic: Unix shell problem

From: Viraj Luthra <viraj999_at_lycos.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:53:38 -0700

Hello all,

Ihave the following script, called as tst. When the script is executed as,

tst, then every thing is okay, but when it is executed as . tst, then I get the error:-

 sh: SHLIB_PATH: Parameter not set.

I need to use the following format that is . .profile, as in above case as . tst

The reason why I am doing above is because the SHLIB_PATH is not set properly, I get heaps of problems. If the SHLIB_PATH is not set, I just want to set it to say $HOME.

Please reply as this is urgent.

Thanks and Regards,

Raja

The script follows:-

#!/bin/sh
#
echo
echo
echo Start Test
echo
echo uname -a = `uname -a`
echo First check what happens if you try and set SHLIB_PATH
echo and there is no initial setting
unset SHLIB_PATH
echo First what is its value?
echo SHLIB_PATH = $SHLIB_PATH
echo Now lets set it to default:123
SHLIB_PATH="$SHLIB_PATH:123"
echo OK what is the value now?
echo SHLIB_PATH = $SHLIB_PATH
echo
echo Now lets reset the value to nothing
unset SHLIB_PATH
echo Check value
echo SHLIB_PATH = $SHLIB_PATH
echo Now do what is in our script....
if [ -z "${SHLIB_PATH}" ]; then
   echo It has no current default value
   SHLIB_PATH="${HOME}"
else
    echo It has a default path of $SHLIB_PATH
    SHLIB_PATH="${HOME}:${SHLIB_PATH}"
fi
    echo So what is our final result?
    echo SHLIB_PATH = $SHLIB_PATH

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!

Author: Viraj Luthra
  INET: viraj999_at_lycos.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Apr 26 2001 - 02:53:38 CDT